Cart empty
Shopping cart Cart empty
  • Idaho Notaries
  • Create an Account

Notary Public Bond and Seal

What is a Florida notary bond?

Where can I get a Florida notary bond?

How do I file my Florida notary bond?

How much bond coverage does a Florida notary need?

What amount of bond is required in the state of Florida?

How much does a Florida notary bond cost?

How long is my Florida notary bond in effect?

What happens if someone makes a claim against my Florida notary bond?

What should I do if my Florida notary seal is lost or stolen?

May I use the Great Seal of Florida on my Florida notary stamp?

May I use an embosser as my Florida notary seal?

What type of notary seal is required in the State of Florida?

What is a Florida notary bond?

The Florida notary bond is a type of surety bond issued by an approved surety company to protect the public against any wrongdoing on the part of the Florida notary. The surety company guarantees to the public that you, as a Florida notary public, will perform your duties in accordance with the law, and if you do not, the company will pay any damages caused by the incorrect notarization up to the amount of the bond.

Where can I get a Florida notary bond?

You must purchase a Florida notary bond from a Florida licensed bonding or insurance company. Notary Public Underwriters handles this process for our customers. Our goal is to make the steps of becoming a Florida notary or renewing your Florida notary commission fast and easy.

How do I file my Florida notary bond?

If you choose Notary Public Underwriters as your bonding agency, within 24-hours​ of receiving the properly completed forms, we hand deliver your Florida notary bond, along with your Florida notary application to the Secretary of State's office.

How much bond coverage does a Florida notary need?

Florida notary bonds do not have coverage amounts similar to insurance policies. The bond amount is set by statute through the Florida legislature and is currently set at $7,500.00. Keep in mind, the notary bond only protects the public, not the notary. Notary Errors & Omissions Insurance protects the notary and offers different coverage options.

What amount of bond is required in the state of Florida?

Florida notary law requires a bond in the amount of $7,500.

How much does a Florida notary bond cost?

A $7,500, 4-year notary bond in the state of Florida costs $40 through Notary Public Underwriters.

How long is my Florida notary bond in effect?

A Florida notary bond is effective for the entire 4 years of your Florida notary commission.

What happens if someone makes a claim against my Florida notary bond?

Your surety company's claim department will investigate the claim. They will contact you to gather information about the transaction in question. They may ask for a copy of your notary journal record for the notarization and any other facts that may help them determine the basis for the claim. A pending claim does not always mean there will be financial loss for the notary. Your surety company may find the claim not to be legitimate, or they may deny the claim. However, if the claim has merit, your surety company will negotiate a settlement or pay the full amount of the bond.

IMPORTANT: You may be held responsible for repaying any amount the surety pays to satisfy the claim, including defense costs. Remember, the notary bond protects the public, not the notary. We highly recommend all notaries purchase notary Errors & Omissions Insurance to guard against potential financial loss due to an innocent mistake.

What should I do if my Florida notary seal is lost or stolen?

If your Florida notary seal is lost, stolen or in the possession of another person, you must notify the Florida Department of State immediately in writing. Your letter should include the last time you used or had your Florida notary seal in your possession. You may email your written letter to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or mail it to Department of State, Division of Corporations, Notary Section, P.O. Box 6327, Tallahassee, FL 32314. Alternatively, you may This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. your letter to us and we can submit it to the Department of State on your behalf. The Department of State will issue you a new notary commission certificate with a new commission number, and notify the bonding agency of the change (be sure to contact your bonding agency to confirm they were notified of the change). Once you receive your new notary commission certificate, you can order a replacement stamp. Just be sure to send a copy of your new certificate so that we can ensure your information is correct.

May I use the Great Seal of Florida on my Florida notary stamp?

No. Florida Notaries are prohibited from using the Florida state seal.

May I use an embosser as my Florida notary seal?

No. The official Florida notary seal is a rubber stamp. However, you may use an embossing seal in addition to the rubber notary stamp, as decoration only. Notary Public Underwriters offers both seals in several styles. If you frequently notarize out-of-state or international documents, you may want to purchase an embosser seal, which is readily accepted as the notary standard around the world.

What type of notary seal is required in the State of Florida?

The official seal for Florida notaries is the rubber stamp. The stamp must contain four elements: the phrase “Notary Public-State of Florida,” your exact commission name, your notary commission number, and the expiration date of your commission. The seal must be affixed with black ink that is photographically reproducible.

If you don't see your question listed above, please contact our Customer Care Team. We'd love to assist you.